Welcome to Gamers Core

Join the only gaming community you need to be a part of in 2018.

Whether you're looking for trading, news, giveaways, videos, streams or just to chat about your favourite games, it's all on Gamers Core.

Register Now
  1. There have been a lot of requests for a marketplace to be added to Gamers Core, well...

Instead if you head over to Virtual Market - you can now trade there!
We use cookies, by continuing to use our website, you are agreeing to our cookie policy.

Read more about our cookie policy here.
Welcome to Gamers Core, the latest and greatest place to discuss your favourite games.

Please take a moment to Log In or Sign Up if you don't already have an account.

Favourite Linux Distro?

Discussion in 'Server Administration' started by Verringer, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Verringer

Verringer Gamers Core Founder Founder Advanced Enhanced

Ratings:
    +173
    Discord:
    Chris Verringer#4395
    Steam:
    verringer
    What's your favourite distro?

I'd usually run a poll on something like this but there's too many to cover and I want to know why!

I used to be a CentOS die-hard, but switched to Debian after some advice and now am essentially the same but for Debian - I love how it's similar to CentOS but also has many of the features of Ubuntu while feeling super lightweight.

2. rexs123

rexs123 Advanced

Ratings:
    +19
    Discord:
    rexs123#1338
    I was taught to look at the OS's like this:

CentOS is only at version 7, while Debian being at 9, and Ubuntu releasing a new version once a year.

Use:
    CentOS for Static services (web servers)
    Debian for Application services (game servers, things you won't use for a long time but more than most)
    Ubuntu for Staging / Development Services (Coding / Preview / Before going production)

But to answer the question the thread is asking: Debian 8 > Ubuntu 16.04 (as of post date)

3. SheepeyDarkness

SheepeyDarkness Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Discord:
    SheepeyDarkness#0232
    Steam:
    SheepeyDarkness
    I don't use linux, but if I would I'd use mint. I love the design of mint. It looks like windows but it isn't. Besides mint, I also like kali linux as well.

4. Steve

Steve Section Mod: Fortnite Sectional Moderator

Ratings:
    +10
    Discord:
    IGSteven#8158
    Centos, since it's what cPanel/WHM use so am quite used to it