Welcome to Gamers Core

Join the only gaming community you need to be a part of in 2018.

Whether you're looking for trading, news, giveaways, videos, streams or just to chat about your favourite games, it's all on Gamers Core.

Register Now
  1. There have been a lot of requests for a marketplace to be added to Gamers Core, well...

Instead if you head over to Virtual Market - you can now trade there!
We use cookies, by continuing to use our website, you are agreeing to our cookie policy.

Read more about our cookie policy here.
Welcome to Gamers Core, the latest and greatest place to discuss your favourite games.

Please take a moment to Log In or Sign Up if you don't already have an account.

Apple WWDC 2018 Predictions

Discussion in 'Smartphones' started by Croc, May 25, 2018.

1. Croc

Croc Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    With Apple's annual WorldWide Developer Conference (WWDC) coming up next month, June 4-8. I thought now would be a good time for us Apple fanboys to discuss our predictions and wish list for the next versions of iOS, macOS, tvOS, and watchOS.

Here's my predictions:
    • Smarter Siri
    • Lots of performance improvements and optimizations
    • A new UIKit framework that works universally for both macOS, iOS, watchOS, and tvOS app development
    Here's my wish list:
    • Ability to set third party apps as default in iOS
    • Global dark mode

2. Noah

Noah Developer

Ratings:
    +20
    Discord:
    Noah#7479
    Steam:
    nhamr
    Playstation:
    deranged_monkey4
    With Google's new advancements, now would be a great time to make Siri useful. It's always great to have competition between companies to promote innovation.

3. Verringer

Verringer Gamers Core Founder Founder Advanced Enhanced

Ratings:
    +173
    Discord:
    Chris Verringer#4395
    Steam:
    verringer
    I saw a reddit post about a tonne of Apple features that were supposed to be released and are expected to happen this WWDC but I can't find the thread now - nothing here was in it though :tdown:

I don't think this one is such a big deal, how would setting something as default change anything except in Siri? It'd be nice to have that customisation but I wouldn't expect it or get that excited by it.

This! Siri is great once you learn how to talk to it, same goes for Google Assistant - but it needs to display information better and answer your questions that aren't just common knowledge.

PLEASE! This would set iOS ahead of Android so much, Google seem to starting to acknowledge dark mode exists (at least on YouTube) - but their OS seems to be getting brighter and brighter with each release so I would love for iOS to release dark mode.

If dark mode were to happen, I'd 100% buy the next iPhone this year - my eyes deserve it.

4. Noah

Noah Developer

Ratings:
    +20
    Discord:
    Noah#7479
    Steam:
    nhamr
    Playstation:
    deranged_monkey4
    Ability to set third party apps allows you to, for example, choose your messaging app. On Android you have so many options: Signal, Google messages, etc. I also don't understand how iOS would become better than Android if it got a dark mode... I guess that this is all matters of personal preference.

5. Verringer

Ratings:
    +173
    Discord:
    Chris Verringer#4395
    Steam:
    verringer
    What I mean is more... Why would you need to change the messaging app though? Say if you use Facebook Messenger, then you'll have it in your dock + receive notifications, how else would you access it (that default would change) other than Siri which sucks anyway.

Also, I know it's just an example but I'm pretty sure the majority of iOS users wouldn't want to change out iMessage - it's dope.

6. Noah

Noah Developer

Ratings:
    +20
    Discord:
    Noah#7479
    Steam:
    nhamr
    Playstation:
    deranged_monkey4
    But iMessage isn't loved by users who are security conscience... On Android, people use apps like Signal to improve device security. Besides security, maybe another messaging app has more advanced or fully-fledged features than iMessage. Anyways, since most Apple users are diehard Apple fans, they probably won't change any of the default apps. Like I previously said, it's all personal opinion and preference.

7. Croc

Croc Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    Having the ability to change default apps on iOS would ideally have an implementation similar to Android.
    For example, I can imagine them letting iOS developers specify handlers for responding to "mailto:" links in Safari or elsewhere on system. Currently, "mailto:" links only open Mail.app and if the user doesn't have Mail.app installed, it fails.

Of course, the addition of Share Extensions in iOS 8 made this somewhat tolerable as the user can just open the sharee sheet in Safari and tap on the Email client they currently use. It's not ideal though. I should be able to tap on any "mailto:" link on a webpage and have my preferred email client open automatically addressed to the sender.

It would also allow you to set a default web browser much like you can on Windows and macOS. I see no reason why this shouldn't be an option because third-party browsers on iOS are no longer limited like they were in the past. They can use the same rendering engine that Safari uses.

8. Verringer

Ratings:
    +173
    Discord:
    Chris Verringer#4395
    Steam:
    verringer
    I suppose it's nice being able to change it on Android - but certainly not a big deal. My default is Firefox Focus because risky clicks - followed by Chrome, so I wouldn't mind personally.

9. Verringer

Ratings:
    +173
    Discord:
    Chris Verringer#4395
    Steam:
    verringer
    All ticked off!

MacOS dark mode, iOS will likely come next year - that'll do for me though.

I think we did pretty good this year tbh - Mojave looks awesome.

• Agree Agree x 1