Welcome to Gamers Core

Join the only gaming community you need to be a part of in 2018.

Whether you're looking for trading, news, giveaways, videos, streams or just to chat about your favourite games, it's all on Gamers Core.

Register Now
  1. There have been a lot of requests for a marketplace to be added to Gamers Core, well...

Instead if you head over to Virtual Market - you can now trade there!
We use cookies, by continuing to use our website, you are agreeing to our cookie policy.

Read more about our cookie policy here.
Welcome to Gamers Core, the latest and greatest place to discuss your favourite games.

Please take a moment to Log In or Sign Up if you don't already have an account.

Android vs iOS Mega-thread & Poll

Discussion in 'Smartphones' started by Verringer, Mar 21, 2018.

Android vs iOS

1. Team Android

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. Team iOS

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  1. Verringer

Verringer Gamers Core Founder Founder Advanced Enhanced

Ratings:
    +173
    Discord:
    Chris Verringer#4395
    Steam:
    verringer
    Android or iOS - why?

I'm team iOS, own an Android device at the moment and I am counting down the days until I can have an iPhone again.

2. Tony

Tony Community Manager

Ratings:
    +34
    Discord:
    phewo#1337
    I'm team Android all the way for functionality, but the design of the iPhone makes me lean there too. But since I have an Andrioid, I go team Android.

3. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Discord:
    Mark#4979
    Steam:
    Markieboyyyy
    I am team Android, it has more free games, better customization imo.

4. utaninja

utaninja Staff Member Sectional Moderator

Ratings:
    +8
    Discord:
    utaninja#5416
    Team IOS. IOS is much cleaner and easier to use.

5. Croc

Croc Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    I'm loyal to both (RIP my beloved Note 7), but currently on Team iOS (iPhone X). iOS has the best user experience if you own all Apple products. If you are going to fragment your device setup, just go with Android because you will have an easier time getting everything to work together, though you will have to rely on third-party apps to get the same experience as on Apple devices. Another thing I like about iOS is the App Store. Indie developers often bring new first-class experiences to iOS first and later port it to Android.

6. HighOnLag

HighOnLag Sectional Moderator

Ratings:
    +0
    Had the Iphone 7 Plus and was going for an Iphone X but thought about it for a second and its literally the same IOS 11 as the 7 plus it was smaller, so went for the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 and Its the best decision I have made.

7. Rob

Rob Sectional Moderator Sectional Moderator Advanced Enhanced

Ratings:
    +8
    I remember my Mum getting the first iPhone back when it first released - I would spend hours on the built in YouTube app (major throwback) and when it released, downloaded simulator apps of the app store. Man that was the good times.

However even before that I had an iPod shuffle and my parents had the larger iPod nano.
    Apple has played (and still does, kinda) a bit part in my familys technological side for a long time.

Last year I watched the iPhone X release conference and was ecstatic to see what was new.
    Yet I was disappointed, just the removal of a home button - I decided to become more open minded.

My iPhone 7+ had just reach that point where the battery starts to suck (even more) and I wanted to actually put a little bit of thought into what I was going to purchase next. It was then when I came across my uncle showing off his brand new Google Pixel 2 at a party my parents hosted at my house to celebrate some kind of event. A common occasion for my household.

Man I took such an interest to this thing, the idea of unlimited photo storage, the amazing camera and so much more.
    About 2 weeks later I am purchasing a Google Pixel 2. It came a few days before last Christmas so I kept it till Christmas day so I could treat it as a little bit more of a Christmas present rather than a much needed upgrade I was absolutely dying for.

Exactly 4 months after and till this day I do not regret my decision. Android (Google) phones are absolutely brilliant and the fact that I have things such as Google Home which I have integrated with my Phillips Hue LED's (Verringer; I finally took your advice on Phillips Hue - I can only thank you), Nest thermostat & Ring doorbell. The phone has the Google assistant installed so controlling my household is so much easier reducing the amount of apps I had by 50%.

Don't get me wrong, Apple create amazing software and hardware. Their phones are clean and the software they use is absolutely exceptional for the most part. Especially when they have high expectations from people due to them being absolute untouchable beats in the technology industry. But Google is catching up, most hardware things and in some case software things Google are years ahead. Face recognition on the new iPhone's is something Android users have been doing for time.

I still obviously own & carry my iPhone for things like Snapchat - carrying two phones is my personal preference. Both have advantages and disadvantages.

I rest my case.

8. Alex

Alex Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Discord:
    SoldierAlex#0777
    I personally have had the iPhone 3G, 5, 6, and now the iPhone 8 Plus. I think a big reason I still use iOS is due to familiarity and iMessage. Some of my friends aren’t in our group chats just because they have sms which gives you a lot less control over the chat. However, I have seen that android has a lot more functionality and customizability. The only android phone I’ve been interested in lately is the Pixel 2 because I’m a huge fan of the google assistant and I already have an AndroidTV as well as a google home. The phone has a great design as well and I’ve heard it has the best smartphone camera. It’s really got a lot of things going for it, however, by the time I’m ready for a new phone the Pixel 3 will probably be out so I’ll wait until then and consider whether or not I should switch over. Voted team iOS though because I currently have an iPhone.

9. SheepeyDarkness

SheepeyDarkness Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Discord:
    SheepeyDarkness#0232
    Steam:
    SheepeyDarkness
    Team iOS by far. Although only if it's jailbroken. Jailbroken iOS devices are so usefull and fun to use. Although if it isn't jailbroken on terms of functionality then android. People tend to say "if you want to customize your device so much just go android". I love the iOS interface and the OS so being able to build off of that and change it is amazing.

10. 420

420 Advanced

Ratings:
    +4
    I've used both iOS (iPod Touch, iPhone 3GS, 4s, 6, 7) and Android. Currently have an iPhone 7 but I voted for Android because Apple is killing its own ecosystem. There's always new bugs popping up, and despite being clean it's not very stable.
    Jailbreaking - there hasn't been a jailbreak for the current released iOS version in at least 3 years, which is really the only thing that gives iOS any useful functionality. A lot of the updates Apple has done are just jailbroken tweaks that have been around forever.
    In addition to that, Apple is just a mess right now. Only an idiot (like my cousin) would spend $1000 on an iPhone X when you can get a better specced Android for half the price.
    I'll wait and see what Apple does with the next iPhone. If it's reasonable I'll consider sticking with iOS, but I also know iOS 12 isn't an overhaul, just a refining of the current operating system.
    There's a pretty good chance I'll be switching over to the Essential PH-1 or possibly the Google Pixel.

11. SheepeyDarkness

SheepeyDarkness Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Discord:
    SheepeyDarkness#0232
    Steam:
    SheepeyDarkness
    False. Electra for ios 11 was released just a couple weeks ago. There's also been an ios 10, 9, and 8 jailbreak. https://canijailbreak.com/ And ios 10 is surely not 3 years old.

12. 420

420 Advanced

Ratings:
    +4
    When I say the 'current released iOS version', I mean the latest version at the time the jailbreak was released.
    The current iOS version is 11.3, and there is no jailbreak for it.
    The previous version was 11.2 (from December 2017) and there's still no jailbreak for that either.

You mention Electra (for iOS 11-11.1.2). It was released on 26 February 2018, but iOS 11.2 was released 3 months prior, in December 2017, in addition to a number of subreleases under 11.2.

iOS 10 jailbreak was released 28 December 2016, but 10.1 was released 24 October 2016 and 10.2 was released 12 December 2016, so you would be 3 months outdated.

iOS 9 came out 16 September 2015. Pangu released their iOS 9 jailbreak on 14 October 2015. iOS 9.1 came out 21 October 2015, so there was only a week where you could jailbreak on the 'current version'. The 9.1 jailbreak didn't come until 11 March 2016, but 9.2 had already been released on 8 December 2015.

Now it takes several months for any team to come up with a jailbreak, and in that time Apple has already pushed out several new versions of iOS.

So there you have it.. The last time there was a jailbreak for the 'current version' was a 1-week period in October 2015, about 2.5 years ago.

13. SheepeyDarkness

SheepeyDarkness Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Discord:
    SheepeyDarkness#0232
    Steam:
    SheepeyDarkness
    Although it takes them awhile older versions work fine unless you want apps like fortnite. My iPhone was on 9.3.3 and it worked flawlessly. Jailbreaking is still active and it's a viable solution to customize. You just need to wait. If a jailbreak is released on the current version, apple tends to release a new version the next day or so.